7 Copywriter Skills You Need to Make Your Copy Stand Out
Being a copywriter is no longer just about writing decently. There are other skills you need to possess to make your copywriting services more marketable. It is because nowadays, clients are looking for a copywriter who can multi-task and apply more diverse sets of skills rather than just curating a piece of content from the internet.
Knowing how to write proper sentences with impeccable grammar is not enough to help you break through the market. It’s more than that. We at Script Consultants understand that content has the power to sway the emotions and perceptions of the target audience to make informed decisions, which can potentially turn into purchasing behaviors. In short, copywriters can help companies drive sales from potential readers just by content marketing alone.
The industry of content marketing is expanding rapidly. According to the research by The Drum Reporters, the valuation of the content marketing industry will have risen to $412.88 Billion by the year 2021. So, to score sufficient clients, a copywriter must become the jack of all trades.
That’s why we have listed some of the skills you need to have to become a qualified copywriter. Here they are:
Copywriter Skills #1: Blogging and Content Writing
Blogging and content writing are the bread and butter of the copywriting industry. However, possessing the skills to execute them well is not as easy as it seems since a copywriter must be able to write content that is engaging and interactive for the target audience.
If you want to achieve refined blogging and writing skills, then consider following these tips.
- Don’t be a robot. Try to create conversational content for your audience.
- Maintain the flow of sentences with easy to read vocabulary.
- Add phrases and transitional words to magnify the power of your content.
- Always stick to the point and state relevant facts.
Copywriter Skills #2: Citation & Reference
To add more weight to your content, you can use citations and references as they signify the fact that you have done extensive research to make a point. Using high-quality references gives your content more impact on the readers and enhances the brand value of the company, for which you are writing.
Here’s a tip from us: before curating the content, start your blog post or article with relevant news or an intriguing piece of information that many may not know. So, whenever you are drafting your next content, try applying the following things:
- Add links to the primary source in your content.
- Research for high-quality references before proving your point.
- Recent statistics make your articles more interesting.
Copywriter Skills #3: Knowledge of Meta Tags
Meta Tags give a slight insight into the blog posts or articles to the readers. Using meta tags and including appropriate keywords help enhance the ranking of the post and its click-through-rates on the search engines, such as Google. It is one of the essential skills of a copywriter. Here is what you need to do to master this skillset:
- Use a concise description of your article that might entice the reader to go for a click.
- Keep the description in between 150 – 160 characters.
- Do not overuse the keywords in the meta description. Just one keyword phrase is enough.
Copywriter Skills #4: Basics of SEO
This copywriting skill can drive you more traffic than any other tactic. It is recognized as an excellent way to grab the attention of your relevant audience without spending thousands of dollars. Optimized and well-written content is a cherry on the cake for the clients as well as for the readers. The thing that you need to remember is that SEO is not just about shoveling as many important keywords as possible to the content. The web-crawlers from search engines also look at how relevant the information that you provide in your content.
So, here are some SEO copywriting tips that might help you:
- Try to write longer content to rank better in search results.
- Research for the relevant keywords and eliminate keyword stuffing.
- Divide your content into multiple subheadings.
Copywriter Skills #5: Email Marketing
Getting an email marketing strategy on point is a rare amalgamation of art, science, and content, of course. Email marketing is a great asset to have as a copywriter to help you generate new customers for your clients. Check out some tips that will generate leads through email marketing.
- Get creative with the subject line and the preview text of an email.
- Use more bullet points and subheadings.
- Offer some discounts and play with colors to get more clicks.
- Add a touch of personalization for your audience.
Copywriter Skills #6: Graphic Design
Don’t worry! You don’t have to be a professional graphic designer. But, having an eye for details exclusively for designs can add more life to your content. There are various online tools like Canva, Adobe Spark and more, which let you create beautiful designs without any hassle. Here are some tips to ace this copywriter’s skill:
- Check different blog posts and articles for inspiration
- Try to use infographics in your articles to build up impressions.
- Use proper dimensions and good color combinations for images.
Copywriter Skills #7: Social Media Marketing
Last but not least is social media marketing. According to Hootsuite, there are now 3.48 billion users on social media. So, what does it take to make an impact on the target audience? Well, let us share some insider tips:
- Write some good captions and hashtags along with the call-to-action button, while sharing the blog post on social media platforms.
- Use emotional language in the captions to drive more engagement from the users.
According to the American fictional writer, Robert W. Bly, “Copywriters are salespeople whose job is to convince people to buy products.” Copywriting is the strong pillar for content, design, SEO and more. So, if you are aspiring to be the best, then you must bag up these copywriting skills.
If you are looking for a copywriter with all the skills mentioned above, then you are on the right page. Script Consultants is a content marketing agency in Singapore with a team of professional copywriters who can assist you in creating website content, promotional content and more. For more information, you can send us an email with your queries at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website.