Recipe courtesy of Script Consultants
With the rise of technology there is an increased use of the Internet and digital media as marketing tools. This causes the market to get increasingly saturated with advertisements, commercials and other various marketing campaigns.
With all the noise, how can one stand out from the crowd and create a video commercial that won’t get lost? We at Script Consultants have come up with a recipe for creating effective video ads to help you get noticed:
- Identify WHY you are creating a video advertisement. Is it:
- To launch a new product?
- To raise awareness about company/issue?
[Microsoft created the following video to raise awareness of their new product: Windows Phone 7]
- Once you have identified the reason behind creating the video, decide WHO is your target audience. Is it:
- A certain target group?
[Dove created a great video that targeted mainly women showing them how they perceive themselves and how others perceive them. This is in line with Dove as the company’s mantra believes that everyone is beautiful.]
- Identify the NEEDS and WANTS of your target audience, and how your video advertisement is able to fulfill that.
[In the following video, a mineral water company called Contrex appealed to the wants of female audience of wanting to slim down but in a fun way. At the same time, they managed to fulfill the needs of them wanting to drink water after exercising by providing bottles of their water.]
- Now that you have identified the WHY and WHO, think about WHAT you want to put into your video advertisement. Combine the WHY, WHO and WHAT to create a story.
[Below is an infographic by Dr4Ward that shows you how to make a video memorable through the power of a story.]
- Sprinkle a bit of DIALOGUE into your video to make it more effective in putting across the message or evoking certain emotions.
[Thai Life Insurance did a great job by incorporating dialogues/captions as necessary to let the audience get what was going on, and to evoke certain emotions in the viewer.]
[NOTE: Avoid putting in too much information, as it will spoil your video advertisement.]
- After you have determined the WHY, WHO & WHAT, decide WHERE you want to post your video.
[The following infographic shows the reason why people share, and the top reason for sharing is for value and entertainment. This is the reason why video advertisements need to tell a story as stories are worth sharing.]
Written by: (www.script.com.sg) Edited & Illustrated by: Script Consultants Pte Ltd